Requirements for the Doctorate
Students enrolled at IMPA seeking a Ph.D. Degree must comply with the following requirements:
1. Obtain fifteen graduate credits in the Ph.D. course program. At most six of these credits may be derived from IMPA-approved seminars;
2. Be approved on the Ph.D. Qualifying Oral Examination;
3. Prepare a Doctoral Thesis constituting original research work reflecting significant advancement in current knowledge of Mathematics;
4. Demonstrate reading skills in two of the following foreign languages: French, English, German and/or Russian;
5. Have been a regularly enrolled post-graduate student at IMPA for at least three academic periods;
6. Be approved in at least one course program in three distinct areas.